TO INTRODUCE MYSELF
I am …
I am a highly trained, multi-skilled musician – a singer, classically trained pianist and accompanist. I can perform a wide range of genres of music from an extensive repertoire – including classical, popular, jazz/blues, country, light opera, show music, Celtic and music of an unlimited number of performers and composers (from Eva Cassidy to Sarah Brightman, from Frank Sinatra to Ed Sheeran, from Chopin nocturnes to rock n roll) whether as piano pieces or as singer/pianist. I can provide almost limitless options, whether as background music or a concert, and whether for an hour or for an entire evening.
My first public performance was at 19 as a concert pianist in the Great Hall, Art Centre. Since that time I have performed at a range of venues (including Mona, Vale, Clearwater, the Christchurch Town Hall auditorium and UC Staff Club), functions and fundraising events (for example, Stepping Stones Trust and Graci Foundation).
I have considerable experience working with clients designing programmes to meet their specific requirements – including planning the music for a funeral or for a fund-raising event.
I have my own portable digital piano and sound system and can therefore perform at a wide range of venues and locations. At all times I adopt a professional approach and am committed to a high standard of excellence.
Check out my extended CV below, which you can also download as a PDF here:
- Live performances on stage include:
Christchurch Town Hall auditorium (Christchurch College of Education Graduation), CTV Singathon (CTV sponsored fundraising for Cancer Society), Great Hall (Christchurch Arts Centre), Christchurch State Trinity Centre, Bridgewater (Ohoka), Christchurch Anglican Cathedral, La Vida Auditorium, Christchurch Catholic Basilica, Pemberton (Ohoka), Newbery Lodge, Rossendale Winery (Tai Tapu), Royal New Zealand Navy (Memorial Services), Mona Vale, Addington Events Centre, Shirley Golf Club, Christchurch Convention Centre and Riccarton Racecourse.
- Live performances on television include:
TV1 “Good Morning” show and CTV “Good Living” show (three appearances)
- Live performance and interviews on radio include:
National Radio ‘Afternoons with Jim Mora’, NewsTalk ZB, More FM stations, The Breeze (eg Christchurch, Palmerston North, Hamilton), Classic Hits stations, Radio Pacific (Auckland) and Radio Rhema
Functions and Other Corporate Events
- Corporate and fundraising functions, including:
Otago University Memorial Concert, Riccarton Racecourse, Graci Foundation (for gynaecological cancer research), Stepping Stones Charity Fundraising Dinner (Christchurch Town Hall Restaurant), 21st Annual Australasian Tax Teachers’ Association Conference (International Antarctic Centre, Christchurch), 8th Australasian Conference on Social and Environmental Accounting Research (CSEAR) (Latimer Lodge), South Island Miss Teen Beauty Pageant (Aurora Centre), UC Accounting Leavers Dinner (Newbery Lodge), NAI Harcourts and Harcourts Grenadier (Canterbury Club), Rotary (Russley Golf Course)
- Resident pianist for J Ballantyne & Co (Christchurch) until 2011 Canterbury earthquakes. Special concerts (as soloist) for Father’s Day, Christmas, and ANZAC Day as well as ‘English Pub Song’ themed event.
- Resident pianist/soloist for cocktail (and other) functions Aphrodite Boutique Lodge (Merivale) until 2011 Canterbury earthquakes.
- Weddings, at various locations including:
Rosemount (Ohoka), Heritage Hotel (Hanmer Springs), University of Canterbury Staff Club (Ilam Campus), Rydges Hotel (Christchurch), Sign of the Takahe (Christchurch), Octagon Live (Christchurch), Nurses Chapel (Christchurch), Clearwater Golf Course, Lake Ohau Lodge, Tangley on Clyde.
- Memorial Concerts for:
John Rhind, Lamb and Hayward Ltd, Bell Lamb and Trotter, Gulliver and Tyler and Cremation Society of Canterbury Ltd
- Christmas Concert at Merivale Retirement Village, sponsored by Bell Lamb and Trotter. Subsequent appearances (by invitation of Merivale Retirement Village).
- November 2006 release of self-titled debut album through Manuka Sounds Ltd (Auckland) after encouragement and support from music heavyweights Mr Brent Hansen (when in the role of Chief Executive Officer, MTV Networks Europe) and Mr Gray Bartlett MBE (when in role as Director of Pacific Entertainment Ltd).
- Of my music Hansen said: “The material is very well written and very melodic and catchy. This kind of material has a lot of potential.”
- Gray Bartlett comments: “Sensational … what an incredible talent, the best I’ve heard in years.”
- Album distributed through various outlets including Sounds NZ Stores nationwide (‘Staff pick’ in Auckland Sounds store), Marbecks, Real Groovy, Radar Records and Amplifier.co.nz. Strong sales in New Zealand and Australia, sales also in US.
- 2011-2012 Second album recorded and released. Album recorded at Stebbings Recording Studio (Auckland).
Skills and Training
- Studied the piano from the age of 4.
- From an early age successfully competed in Music Competitions and consistently placed first or second.
- Completed major teaching and performing qualifications in piano through both Royal and Trinity Colleges, London .
- Awarded music scholarship to study piano under the late Mr Maurice Till, (then) Australasia’s top piano teacher. Mr Till was also the teacher for Mr Michael Houston and Mr Richard Mapp.
- Piano accompanist for local and visiting artists (including Mark Hadlow ONZM), opera singers (including Mr Teddy Tahu Rhodes) and choirs.
- Qualifications: LTCL (Trinity College, Performance), ATCL (Trinity College, Performance), Dip. Tch & Learning (University of Canterbury)